Monday, April 11, 2011

Poole Park Run

On Saturday morning Martin and I were up at the crack of dawn (well for us anyway) to drive over to Poole for the new Park run event which started last weekend. For those of you who don't know about Park Run, they are free timed 5k time trails which take place all over the country at 9am every Saturday morning (http://parkrun.com/home.aspx). We've done a few on our travels but were absolutely delighted to hear that finally we have one right on our doorstep.

It was a beautiful sparkly morning, and as we jogged around warming up people began to assemble in front of the cricket pavilion where the race was due to start. The race director gave a brief description of the course and promptly at 9am we set off.

The route consists of two anti clockwise laps of the lake with a final loop around the oval in front of the cricket pavilion at the end. Neither of us were feeling particularly sprightly after another week of hard marathon training but we set off with our usual optimism. I was a bit worried to find myself fairly close behind Martin for the first 1km - I can never judge my pace so I knew that either I was going too fast or he was having a bad run (it turned out to be the latter) neither of which was a good thing.

By the time we reached the far side of the lake he started to pull away from me and I also got overtaken by another female runner. As there was a junior ahead that dropped me into third place in the ladies race - and that was where I stayed. First lap was completed pretty much on target pace but the second lap started to take its toll on my legs and my pace dropped off slightly. I was gaining on the junior ahead of me who had gone out very fast and was obviously paying the price in the latter stages of the race. On another day, without Johnny Kipps and the first Yeovilton 5k ahead of me, I might have killed myself trying to overtake her but for today I was happy to cross the line in 19.23 and third place.

Martin had finished 7th overall but was very disappointed with his time of 18.46 - I reminded him that it was only 6 days after a hard half marathon, which was also going to be my excuse until we discovered that the winner today had finished in a little over 15 minutes and coincidentally had also won the Bournemouth Bay Half a week earlier in 1.12! With our excuses blown we decided to console ourselves by slinking off to the Reef Encounter in Boscombe for a well earned breakfast.

No comments: