Sunday, April 24, 2011

A First in Yeovil – Half Marathon - Sun 27 Mar 11

With the onset of British Sumer Time (BST), a 09.00 start poses a significant challenge in itself!  However, it does mean that those runners rising earlier were able to watch the start of the Australia Grand Prix.
40 minutes later, I stepped out into a crisp cold village street, crowned with a brilliant blue sky.  Once on the ridgeway road towards Yeovil , three recognisable cars collected behind a lone lorry – all efforts to reduce the club’s carbon footprint on email had clearly failed!

The start was behind Yeovil Town’s football stadium.  Runners funnelled around the sides, to be greeted by a teenage heavy rock band, banging away at full volume – how the hell did they make it up so early?

 The start was well organised and relaxed, and before we knew it, we were off around the northern housing estates of Yeovil, waking up to summer.  Given the time, many were out on the streets in curiosity, if not support.  It was great, even though I felt anonymous.  I took the clapping and cheering as if a Yeovil Town club runner anyway.  2-3 miles in, running down Mudeford Road into Yeovil, I heard an old boy turn to his wife ‘Amazing, and to think it’s only 8.20 in the morning’!

Through the town centre, around the roads to Penmill, and back through the yellow path towards Ninesprings, the crowds collected again.  My body was starting to hurt now, and then suddenly cry from the crowd shouted my name – Olivia from the club encouraging me on!  Overjoyed, I felt an electric charge radiate out of the top of my head, and suddenly there was a spring in my step, and the next few miles breezed by.  I Made a mental note - "If you are not running a race, go along and support."  You cannot underestimate how much your support is appreciated by those you know running!

Back to the race; it an attractive and interesting course, with a few hills, which should not pose problems to the Maiden Newton Runner.  Phil did warn about keeping some in the tank for the last 2 miles, and boy, was that good advice.  I was very pleased to cross the line 1hr and 38 and half minutes later (an official PB!) and awarded a medal that had 1st on it!

So to sum up, this was a great event and a bargain at £15 when the likes of Cardiff is £30 (and 130m short!!)

No comments: