Thursday, April 21, 2011

London Marathon 2011

Sunday 17th April saw the Westgates in London for THE Marathon, and as usual only one of them was racing. Due to lack of annual leave we had to cram all the travelling into the weekend, arriving at the Excel centre about 2pm. Not sure why they can’t just send the number etc. But a cynic might say there is the chance to make vast amounts of money in return for the most meagre pre-race goody bag containing a small can of beer (which I don’t drink) and a men’s deodorant. We set off in search of our vastly over-rated B&B (without breakfast), and later met son plus girlfriend for a meal in Wetherspoons. Might not be haute cuisine, but at least you know what to expect. Had forgotten how bad the traffic was in London, although that was one of the reasons for moving away. Was also surprised to find that almost every shop along a continuous 10 mile route was selling food – either supermarket, small ethnic shop or take-away.

On Sunday morning we had our porridge (DIY version) and set off for the start. At this hour – 7.30am it was reasonably cool, and I left Richard to find a parking space while I found the Green start. I also found the toilet queue and spent the next half hour or more there, so never got to see any of the celebrities. Richard had turned up outside the fence to see me off. And ONE minute after the gun I was across the start line. The first few miles were at a steady 8.5 min/mile pace, but I soon realised that I wasn’t going to last at that pace. Whether it was the lack of long training runs or the rapidly increasing temperature, but I decided not to kill myself and slowed down. Also had in mind various events coming up and wanted to be in a fit state for them. Was pleased and surprised to hear a shout in Tooley Street and there was Richard with my spare drinks bottle. I’d also been taking on water at most of the drinks stations and paid for this a few miles later when I needed the portaloo and had to queue to use it!! It was good seeing most of the leading men heading back in the opposite direction near Shadwell. It was also good to have support along virtually every yard of the route, and the one thing that stands out is the noise of the crowd, the bands, the pubs etc. Tower Bridge was passed, Canary wharf and the Isle of Dogs and soon I was going back past the Tower of London, under various bridges and along the embankment. It was getting really hard by now and I was using my usual tactic of counting paces, lamp posts, banners etc. The 25 mile mark was a welcome sight and before long the 800m to go sign appeared. Unfortunately there was an increasing number of casualties from here, almost within sight of the finish. With 200m to go I heard the name of Matthew Pinsent being called, I looked round but couldn’t see him and finally crossed the finish line. Chip removal, goody bag, kit bag and meetings soon followed and it was all over.

Many times during the race I though “that’s it, never again” and when somebody stumbled into me I thought if I’m injured I won’t have to finish, but some sort of stubborn determination kept me going, although whether more marathons are going to happen is yet to be decided. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and if I’d known the year so far was going to be so busy I probably wouldn’t have applied for this one, but having got the sub 4 hour time at the New Forest I thought it would be the only chance I’d get (for a guaranteed place on the green start). However it does show that training makes a difference.

Now that’s enough from me, perhaps Olivia would like to let us know about her much greater achievement of finishing her first marathon.

No comments: