Monday, May 24, 2010

Wessex Ridgeway 2010

Legs 1 & 2
by Martin

Got to the start with only 15 minutes to spare, but still an ungodly hour, to join the eager throng of runners from clubs all over at least 4 counties.

After an initial brief hill the first leg was fairly flat and I set off too fast, gradually losing places to a series of faster runners, including Nick Brooke from Yeovil. I was able to follow others most of the way, which was good since I had not recced the route. Near the end of the first leg I took a hard fall on a steep, grassy slope still damp from the early morning dew, and picked up an impressive set of bruises on my arm, but no real damage. All part of the fun! The second leg, though much shorter, was very hilly, and the heat was building, so I was forced to slow down considerably, and let another couple of runners past, including Garry from Axe Valley who was doing alternate legs so I had hoped to stay ahead of him. At the end, spurred on by pride, and the thought that it would soon be over, I managed a brief sprint and got back past the last couple of overtakers.

Legs 3 and 4
by Mike

Leg 3 and 4 got off to a good start. I managed to get to the change over without getting lost! Quite relieved to find Lin parked in a lay-by 100 yards from the start of Leg 3.

As the leading runners appeared the runners gathered at the cross road ready to take the baton. I decided if I was to keep up with these lean-mean-racing snakes surrounding me I will have to abandon the belt carrying gallons of water, lucazade, jelly babies, mobile phone, kitchen sink and run light clutching a bottle of water and the map!

I took the baton from Martin and set off for the first time wearing trifocals firmly attached to my head with an elastic band. Soon to be overtaken by a fellow in a red t-shirt which was good for a few miles to lead the way. It soon became apparent that a kind soul had taken the time to mark the trail with red ribbon – happily I put my mind in neutral and could run without being preoccupied with navigation. The rest of Leg 3 was pretty uneventful. I was overtaken by two runners and over took one so a net loss of one position. Martin and Lin kept checking up on me. I have my suspicions they were worried I would need finding!!
Leg 4 still highlighted by red ribbons started with a long drink. I was quickly passed by a runner. He was the only runner I saw on Leg 4. I remember thinking if I had my walkman with me I should have chosen Desert Island Discs. By this stage I had had enough my legs were hurting never mind run through the pain – well that didn’t work anyway. While my legs were not enjoying the moment my eyes were – I did not need the glasses for map reading it sure helped to enjoy the fabulous view not forgetting to pick up the little red markers. Was I glad to see Martin and Lin now only a few meters from the end of Leg 4. Happily passed the baton to Charlie.

Legs 5 & 6
by Charlie

It was hot just waiting for Mike to arrive. Phil kindly reminded me that Dan and I had the legs in the heat of the midday sun: ‘mad dogs and Englishmen’ sprung to mind. Mike, our resident veteran of the Comrades Marathon and used to African heat, arrived looking like he’d just got out of the shower (no offence!), which boosted morale, not. The first hill was not too bad and half way up I wondered if I’d gone off too fast, in a relative sort of way, but miraculously I kept it up all the way and gained on the distant yellow shirt ahead of one of the Marlborough runners. Down into Minterne Parva and then Up Cerne lots of ramblers looked on as if I was slightly insane, but at this stage all was going well. The second hill up towards the changeover was OK and I was now only a couple of hundred yards behind the runner in front. Looking back there was no-one in sight. The narrow path to the changeover produced a horse coming the other way who looked similarly surprised to see a runner. Unfortunately the rider refused all offers of money so I ran on to see the other teams grouped around the end of the track. When I panted that I was doing two legs they got out the way and the short flat section of road was very welcome.

After that it got a bit harder, as there was no wind or shade, and the track was uneven, meaning much weaving about and concentrating on the track rather than looking at he view to take the mind off it. I think this bit was gently uphill – it certainly felt like it. The runner in front had disappeared - either deciding not to do the loop by the handover, or having conserved her energy better than me, so sadly there was no ‘hare’ to chase. Going down into Sydling I dreamt of jumping in the river to cool down, but decided to put the team first and save precious seconds (it had nothing to do with Martin and Lin waiting there to tell me to hurry up). By now it was hard work and the little track by the church, although in blissful shade, was a walking job (once round the corner, out of sight of Martin). At the top of that little rise the end was in sight and I knew it was only three or four fields up to the A37. Ridiculous thoughts of managing two legs without being overtaken started to enter my head, and right on cue, a Dorset Doddler came up from behind silently. She was obviously only doing one leg because she overtook me with ease. Looking back again, there were a couple of others making gains, but with only one and a half fields to go I got my head down and managed to stay ahead, just, and stumbled across the road and straight into the car where the air con was put on max, and much water drunk.


Legs 7 and 8
by Dan
There was a good atmosphere at the start of the race – other runners were waiting to go too, so our predicted times can’t have been too bad. Charlie’s exhausted head popped up behind the A37 and I was off. It was very hot, but Rachel and the boys were brilliant supporters – I did not need to hide water in the bushes as I had intended, as they kept appearing along the way with bottles of the stuff - a very welcome sight.

Martin appeared at the start of the section through Kingcombe, which I had never recce’d. He tapped along in his twinkle toe shoes chatting as we went (despite already having run his stages) and we overtook a Dorset Doddler, which was satisfying.
A couple of miles after the start of leg 8, another Doddler with fresh legs overtook me. I briefly overtook her a few minutes later, but could not keep the lead for long. Towards the end of the leg, Martin re-appeared, running towards me and reassured me that Lin would overtake the Doddlers on the next stage. I thought that I should give her as good a chance as possible, & ran the last bit so fast that I couldn’t even talk…not something I normally do. Lin took the baton and was off like a rocket.

It was quite a relief to get home and collapse into the paddling pool.

Legs 9 & 10
by Lin

Another great day out at the Wessex Ridgeway relay. I love the team spirit of this event. I'm not so keen on getting up at 5.50am on a Sunday morning to drive Martin to the start. Mike was right - we were a bit worried about his navigational skills. I must confess I even doubted his ability to drive to the start and had my running kit with me in case I had to run legs 3 and 4. Sorry Mike! It was nice having an early morning cup of coffee and chat with you before you started!! Once Charlie was underway we abandoned him to his own devices - knew we could rely on him not to get lost and hurried home for a quick re-group before spending a pleasant ten minutes or so sitting in the Sydling bus stop waiting to cheer him through the village. Dan had his own support crew but relied on Martin to lead him through the unknown bit of Leg 7 and to give him some running support at the end of Leg 8.

And then it was my turn. It felt oh so easy hurtling down the hill into Beaminster overtaking the Dorset Doddlers ladies team en route. Why then was it so hard to run up the hills? First Gerrards Hill, stunning views but absolutely endless, then Lewesdon where the bluebells took my mind off the heat and finally Pilsdon Pen which I made no pretence at running up. Martin, who was definitely the busiest member of the team, kept me supplied with water and opened all the gates for me - great support. I love the sun but I must admit it was a relief to hand over responsibility for the baton to Phil and put my feet up for a while.


The twilight shift - Legs 11 and 12
by Phil

As Lin has already said this is a great team event, which I was really keen to play my part in. That was until I started running and realised just how hot it still was.

Leg 11 starts with a down hill road section before taking to the fields and some climbing. With the redirected Axe Valley Runners having at least a five minute start on me I did not expect to catch anyone and just hoped no one would catch me, if all went well I might finish before 6.00pm?

Having recced both these legs last week I had no issue until catching up unexpectedly with Axe Valley running a road section, who dare I say had got a bit lost. I did the sporting thing and shouted which way to go before starting the long climb up towards Coney’s Castle, closely followed by the yellow vest of Axe Valley. Being reduced to a walk/stagger up through the woods before reaching the open common and the heat, I thought the heat was playing tricks with my eyes when I spotted a second runner in yellow (how had Axe Valley got in front again?) as I caught up I realised it was a Marlborough runner. Two places gain and still on leg11!!! Leg 12 started well again with a down hill section and Martin keeping company, until he decided a lift with Lin was a much better idea. Not sure if it was the ice cream I had an hour before running or the heat, but the engine was starting to give cause for concern and thought we were heading for a Paula Radcliff moment. But I pushed on determined not to lose either of the places I had gained. The running dropped to a walk at the only point on the climb to the A35 where I was apparently in clear view of the support crew. Once safely across the A35 it was mostly downhill to the finish and a much needed comfort stop.

The next hour or two was spent relaxing outside the pub helping Jackie celebrate her birthday while the remainder of the teams made their way to the finish.

Please let it rain next year.

1 comment:

Lesley said...

Well done to everyone and excellent reports from all. Glad everyone survived the heat. Sorry we couldn't be there this year. Perhaps next year it will be just warm and dry with a gentle breeze...........