Tuesday, May 11, 2010

MY LONDON MARATHON – 23RD APRIL 2010

Race report by Di Ashworth

My training began on the 2nd January with a 16 mile, 4 pub run which included champagne and chocolates on the hills with a lovely view.

It was a different training experience for me with the snow, ice, rain and very cold temperatures as well as getting to run on the treadmill.

As it always seems when you start training for an event it was months away but before we knew it it was April and we were tapering.

On the Saturday we met our son Neil and Kat in London and went with them to the London Marathon Expo to register and get my number. We were in bed by 9.30 that night. Our accommodation was great until we switched off the lights and found that the light from the surrounding offices managed to sneak through the blinds lighting up the room almost as bright as the Blackpool illuminations!! Shortly after midnight I fetched a towel and put it over my head – much better and slept well until 5.30 am when I had my breakfast and got ready for the big day. Mike came with me to Charing Cross where I caught the DLR to Blackheath. Like Saturday the tubes were packed and we had to stand all the way. They seemed to pack in more and more people/runners. Once out of the station at Blackheath we just followed the crowd through the town and out onto the open field where you could see the colour balloons for the starts. I ate my honey sandwich while I found where my bag had to go. Then to find the loo!! This was another first for me – a ladies urinal!!! We were given a piece of card to use – a new experience! Then found my start position. Dropped my bag – shortly after which it started to spit and then rain a bit harder. This continued until just about our start time. There were people everywhere lying on the ground and putting on Vaseline, their running shoes etc. all just resting, waiting. By now the Ladies race had started. Went to my start zone where I thought it would be a bit warmer amongst the runners. As we started to move forward I put my watch ready to start as we approached the start. I think we crossed the start around 5 minutes after the official start. There was a lot of noise with the anticipation of the day. We started well with a little walk break after a couple of 100 yards. After that we didn’t really stop. The rain stopped and the sun shone. Decided to use the loo at the second mile mark which was good as there was not much of a queue. As I was leaving there saw Princess Beatrice’s caterpillar assembling itself. The first set of humps we came to in the road there were people with signs and shouting ‘hump’ which was a good idea as with all the runners you certainly did not see them. I found it hot very quickly running in the middle of the pack so moved to the side where there was more of a breeze.

There was a big crowd of supporters right from the beginning and relentless noise, wonderful atmosphere.

The buildings of the National Maritime Museum were lovely – then I knew we were near Cutty Sark where Mike and Neil said they would try to get to. Keeping to the sides I ended up on the inside next to the covered up Cutty Sark so did not see them. They said getting back from there was a nightmare as the tubes were so packed.

All was going well, although it was getting quite warm. Ate some of my banana. It was hard to work out where I was in London. Went past a group of Gospel singers singing ‘Oh When the Saints’ which prompted a special thought for my brother. Then there was a group of youngsters chanting ‘you can do it’ words which I was to remember later in the run. Shortly after that crossed a bridge and remembered Jan said she had watched the London Marathon when she was living in London from a bridge but couldn’t remember which bridge!! I think it was after that I went under a bridge which had a banner saying ‘Go Runner bean – Great, green running machine’ Susanne had given me a card with a runner bean on it.

I was excited to turn the corner and find myself running onto Tower Bridge. Managed a quick look at the Thames each way – THEN – another time check mat – someone shouted something which distracted me and next thing I knew I was heading towards the road – my legs said ‘I don’t really want to do this’ and somehow I managed not to land flat on the tarmac – how I will never know. As we turned right off the bridge we could see the men’s race heading back and one wheelchair still going. I crossed the halfway mat at 2hr.20min. It seemed a long way winding our way through the streets with many turns – once or twice thought the corner was going the other way. I had another trip at the next but one mat – again someone shouted – again I managed to save myself – from then on I almost walked over the timing mats as I did not want a 3rd time lucky situation!!
Somewhere along here I spotted Charlie in front of me looking good. It was amazing you did not seem to keep anyone in sight for long as there were always so many runners and you were always changing places at water points or whatever. So all I could remember of Charlie is that she was behind some Red Indians and then she was gone! By now I had stopped crowd spotting to find Mike and Neil and it seems they were always behind me. I was pleased to see we were on the back stretch and other runners including the clean up vehicles were heading in the opposite direction. I was just concentrating on getting to the end. I was half way along Victoria Embankment before I really appreciated where I was. I was keen to find a clock for the time – my watch had given up on me during the 10th mile, so was pleased to see Big Ben. When I saw a picture afterwards of Neil below Big Ben I could tell Mike had already gone past by then. It was good to turn the corner onto Birdcage Walk and head ‘down’ it. There were not quite so many runners together now. It seemed almost torture to see the signs saying 800m to go, then 600m and then 400 and at last the three finishing boxes. I was really pleased to get there. Phoned Mike to tell him I had finished but did not get through. Neil contacted Jan in Australia to find out where I was!! She said I had finished! I had my photo taken, collected my goodie bag and my kit bag which was near the end of the line of trailers. I was very pleased to find the apple in my goodie bad, as did many other runners it seems judging by the pink lady stickers that now littered the ground. I eventually made my way to the Piccadilly changing area which was a partitioned off parking area with nothing in it to sit on or put your things on. Went off to the meeting area where I messaged Neil where I was – it seemed to be ages before we met up. At first we thought we would go and meet the other Zimbabwean runners at a pub in Pall Mall but when we looked at all the people and the time we had before catching our trains home we decided not to. At the tube station it seemed unfair to have to walk down the stairs! At Charing Cross it was so full that they stopped letting people down for a while onto the platforms. Kat and I waited at Liverpool Station for Mike and Neil to collect our bags from our accommodation – a man came up and congratulated me and proceeded to tell me he had run 10 London Marathons in just over 3 hrs. He was really chuffed to talk to someone who had done it today.

When we arrived at Waterloo the train to Yeovil was also very full mainly, it seemed with runners going home – their London Marathon bags, T-shirts and medals were give aways not to mention how stiffly some of them walked getting on and off the train.

We were home by 9pm and then at last could have a nice bath and get ‘human again’ as I say after running a marathon.

My time was 4hr43.22min. I found it tough but am very pleased I had the opportunity to do one more marathon and that was the London one.

Thank you all at Maiden Newton Runners for giving me the opportunity to complete one of the goals in my life and to my family and friends for all their encouragement and support.

No comments: