Friday, November 03, 2006

STICKLER

The end of British Summertime gave us a welcome extra hour before setting off for Shillingstone to do the Dorset Doddler’s very popular race, The Stickler, or Three Peaks Challenge. We would have been in plenty of time if Martin hadn’t decided half way there that he had brought the wrong shoes. Hasty U turn and frosty silence in car as we returned to collect his off road shoes (well you would take road shoes to do an off road run with stonking great muddy hills after it had been p****** with rain for about three weeks non stop, wouldn’t you? I just love the male logic at work). OK., OK, I should be fair. We weren’t half way there, but we had left Sydling – almost.

We hadn’t done this race beforehand as it has always previously clashed with the Exmoor Stagger, so we weren’t prepared for the complications which awaited us. Parking on an industrial estate, race HQ at the school, start half a mile down the road and finish at the old station. I was feeling tired before we reached the start line, thank goodness we had entered in advance. Did I mention that we had to go back to collect Martin’s shoes……………? Maiden Newton Running Club had a great turn out: Lesley. Plus three second claim members, myself, Martin and Richard. Where were Phil and Dave when the going got tough I’d like to know?

A lovely narrow start with much jostling – Martin “I’m really tired after the Stagger” Lascelles disappeared in a puff of smoke, never to be seen again. I ran about the first 200 yards with Richard but as soon as we started to climb the infamous Stickle Path (1 in 3!) he pulled away from me. My legs “you must be joking if I’m running up any more hills” just weren’t interested. I vaguely felt that I should be appreciating the wonderful countryside through which I was running, but the only thought in my head was that I wanted to stop, now, and was that really only the 2 mile marker I just passed? Surely I’ve been running for hours? This was partially explained later when I uploaded the information from my GPS onto the computer – according to it I had run in a straight line to Weymouth and back, a total of some 45 miles. Well no wonder I was tired! Not sure what happened there. I didn’t press any buttons (honestly Martin, I know you think I did) – only the one that has “Start” beside it.

This is a really well organised race – climbing Okeford Beacon, Hod and Hambledon Hills – nearly all off road, and if you are in the mood to appreciate them, taking in some wonderful views. I’m not sure that I would suggest doing it a week after the Stagger, but taken alone I’d recommend it to anyone and we will surely be back to do it next year if we can.

Martin finished in 37th place overall, an excellent time of 1.17.27, but still complaining bitterly that he had been too tired to sprint for the line (my heart bleeds!). Richard had an excellent run, especially considering that not only had he done the Stagger, but he also ran Dartmoor Vale Marathon the weekend before that – finishing in 1.22.31. I staggered over the line in 1.24.57, complaining bitterly that I didn’t even have the energy to complain bitterly about not being able to sprint at the end.. Lesley was nursing her dodgy knee back into action after injury at the Dartmoor Vale, and struggling with a cold, but still managed a fine effort to finish in 1.50.18.

3 comments:

Phil said...

I havent got any good off road shoes so I was uable to join you(beleave that and you would beleave anything).I have just completed the Ilminster 10K in a PB of 40.39min,the only support for MNR to join me was Dave C. running in his uesual style!!! finishing in about 42min (sorry if it was quicker Dave, I had time to get a drink before you finished so I just gessed at 42)
I hope all MNR members are keeping up with all the going's on the site, as questions will be asked at THURSDAYS MEETING.

Dave C said...

I took it a little easy so Phil could catch up and then paced him for a while (on the downhill bits) so he could achieve his PB - well done young fellow!

Lin said...

Congratulations on an excellent time Phil (you're right we don't believe you about the shoes). Welcome to the blog, Dave - how sporting of you to sacrifice your own race to pace Phil to his PB!!
I'm saying nothing about the Drogo 10 because Martin is going to do a race report complete with pictures so watch this space.