Sunday, November 26, 2006

Bicton Blister

It was the turn of the Bicton Blister to be descended on by Team Maiden Newton this weekend, and the numbers swelled to 5 runners, 2 of whom were actually first claim! Phil unwisely chose to travel to the race with Martin and I, but having experienced the bickering over navigational problems and Martin's highly erratic driving, probably won't make that mistake again.
It was a lovely sunny day, despite the threatening clouds as we approached Bicton and the heavy over night rain and gales, and Bicton College makes a fine venue for a race. The race begins with a loop of the park and a detour through the equine water jump before heading across fields, along a short stretch of road and then into the woods. By this stage, Maiden Newton's elite had disappeared from my view as I struggled uphill through the mud. Even though I had done this race beforehand a few years ago I had very little recollection of the course. It was definitely flat when I ran it before, but now they've inserted lots of hills. I do remember the steep water-filled dips with eager photographers waiting to catch you at your worst (I very nearly obliged by doing a nose dive in the first one - that water was way deeper than I was expecting!)
The course comprises a stretch out, two loops and then the same stretch back - mostly woodland and common with undulations rather than hills and is advertised as 10 miles although Martin and I both measured it over on the GPS (not that you can place any reliance on mine which is apt to add in detours to Weymouth and back if it feels like it).
As I approached the final 200 yards Martin jogged back to meet me, issuing instructions about sprinting for the finish or some such nonsense , which I chose to ignore. Imagine my amazement when having got my breath back and gulped some revitalising water, first Phil and then Richard crossed the finish line behind me. What a gift for Martin, the butt of many cruel jokes in the past about going the wrong way - a group of runners led by Maiden Newton's own Phil England had taken a wrong turning and added about an extra mile to the route! How much mileage are we going to get out of that one! Richard had also managed a very impressive fall and had to succumb to the eager first aiders for attention.
We repaired to race HQ for refreshments and to check out the results - Martin picked up 2nd MV50 and thanks to Phil leading half the field astray, I was awarded 3rd FV40 although I did feel a bit of a fraud accepting it. As we had no non runners to nominate as photographer no action shots I'm afraid but I think we have managed to capture the flavour of the day.........................................................

Pre race preparations


Post race injuries, mud and refreshments...........................

Where did Phil go wrong? Lesley wins the chip eating contest! Undeserved prize

2 comments:

Eric said...

The new future events section and links to other clubs are cool.

Lesley said...

The first time I have ever bought chips after a race and it gets my photo taken!!!! Needed some consolation after all that mud. Roll on next Sunday!!!!