Monday, November 06, 2006

Castle Drogo 10


This was another hilly 10 miler, just like last week’s Stickler, but moved about 50 miles along the A30.
The other main difference was that it had the added benefit of parking at a National Trust beauty spot, rather than an industrial estate.



The race itself was at least as scenic, and just as well organised, by Richard's first claim club South West Road Runners.
Among the about 350 other runners in this popular race were MNRC members Lesley ( first because she was the only one running in MN colours), Richard, Lin and I. The start was half way down the main drive which formed the first quarter mile of the course, before it set off south into the less manicured parts of the castle grounds, and then down a steep path across the face of the Teign Gorge to the Teign itself.

We ran alongside the river for over a mile, and then it was time for the first major bit of up. My legs being well used over the past 2 weeks, I was forced into a walk, not for the last time. The course was mainly up and down through wooded slopes which were almost beautiful enough to distract from the increasing pain I was feeling.
After 8 miles there was my favourite part of the race, a dead-flat section back along the Teign towards Fingle Bridge. My feeling of well-being vanished the instant we turned off this the other side of the bridge up a steep path towards the finish at the Castle. I counted half a dozen people passing me along this stretch, but finally we reached the top and I was just able to pick up the pace enough to pass a couple of runners who I thought were of similar vintage to myself. Doubled over at the finish line, I wondered if it was worth it, especially since I recognised already finished, and well rested by now, the 50 something year old who had obviously won the single age-group prize this week. It turned out the bloke I had bust a gut to beat was only 42. But actually, in a race like this one, the main prize, and the only one really worth winning was available to everybody, the chance to run across some of the most scenic countryside in Devon on probably the brightest day of the autumn. It was well worth the 50 mile drive each way - we'll be back next year.
For the record, Our relative finishing positions in the race were the same as the Stickler, and the times very similar too, although Lin and Richard showed the most improvement. Martin 1:15:58, Richard 1:20:04, Lin 1:20:55, Lesley 1:46:29.

1 comment:

Lin said...

Martin's efforts on behalf of Devon County Council's Tourist Board don't seem to have generated much response, so I thought I'd better find something to say (not difficult for me). No race for us this weekend, but a recce run of the Full Monty course this morning with YTRRC and a hash tomorrow. We are in the process of sorting out some links for future events - Colyton 10k closed today (Saturday) and the Monty has been full for ages. We will try to get some that are still open on the blog before it's too late!
I have created a new post which I will post later - just need some technical (Martin) help - hate it when computers won't do what you want!