Thursday, March 29, 2012

Night Runner

Night runner tactics: by Dan

1. Wearing a hi-vis vest (and pink socks!) to blind following runners can seem like a good tactic, but can backfire. I was blinded by the reflective tape of the runner in front. I would normally be happy to tap along behind, but it was so annoying that I felt obliged to 'blast' past and get sufficiently far ahead that I would not get overtaken again for a while, before settling back into normal pace.

2. A good head torch is essential, but it doesn't matter if it's not your own. I was stuck behind some annoyingly slow/cautious runners on the narrow downhill rocky/rooty/steppy section. No overtaking places, so I had to shine my torch for them so that they could speed up!

3. 'Stealth mode' - when sufficiently ahead of the runners behind, sneakily turn down the power on your torch. Hopefully they can't follow and will waste just as much time as you manically zig-zagging across the fields searching for the way-markers.

This was a great event - roots, rocks, mud, beach, and a massive climb up steps just before the last charge across fields to the finish.

1 comment:

Lesley said...

Richard said: Pete and I really enjoyed this race as well. Even though Pete was running the Yeovil half next morning, he couldn't resist charging ahead over the last mile or so, leaving me for dead. Dan's tactics included a dazzling,showboating finish as he blinded everyone with the head torch in flash mode.