Monday, March 05, 2012

Blog with no race

Sunday 4th March saw the Westgates at home in bed. Raising myself on my left elbow I could see from the window the eight sided pond. The rain was still hammering down – the first substantial rainfall for 33 days, so quite a fortuitous decision not to race today. The pond was getting a bit too full as there is no overflow pipe. During construction I decided not to install one for several reasons:
a) There might be a small chance that a baby fish might get swept down a tube in heavy rain
b) The tube outflow might stain the paving
c) The tube might be a weakness in the rendering and concrete walls.
For those who are interested I empty the pond by manually placing the outlet pipe from the filter into a length of downpipe which can be conveniently run onto the lawn or into the greenhouse as required. For those of you who are completely uninterested you could suggest a new prize category for the AGM – most boring blog of the year.

Anyway with no racing on Sunday, in fact no training at all for a week, there was plenty of gardening to do. It’s surprising how much time training and racing takes up, and I can see how appealing it might be to downsize and concentrate on running. On a slightly worrying note, in less than two weeks time I have the 20 mile “Round the Lakes” race in Wales and the longest run these tired little legs have managed this year is 13.1. This could be another one where Lesley leaves me behind

No comments: