Sunday, August 01, 2010

Sturminster Half Marathon

Apologies to Lesley and Richard for bumping their post off the top so abruptly, but I had to get this one in today or I know I'll let it slide. Also somebody might be doing a post on the Haselbury Trail race coming up this Wednesday (hint hint).

Just to set the scene, and get my excuses in up front, when Lin and I entered this race we were both going for a really good time and so planned to be taking it easy for the week leading up to it (after the Blackdown Beauty which was 8 days before, and not run at any pace - apart from the section to the first pub!). Then we heard about Axe Valley's Highways and Skyways Recce run the Sunday before which we couldn't miss - 14 miles and several thousand feet of climbing...

So my legs were definitely still a bit fried when we lined up at the start. I assume that Lin's were too, but we were still hoping for the best. My plan was to run two 40 minute 10ks, then a 4:24 for the last 1.1k which would have given me a PB. Lin was aiming for a 6:50 pace which would be just under 1:30, and a post broken-hip best by about 4 minutes.
We met up with Jackie, and soon after Dave appeared, but no time to chat, because we still needed a bit more warming up. Jogging down the hill from the start we were helpfully informed that the start was back that way by a couple of people. Perhaps they thought we were sneaking a head start which, as it turned out, was the only way I would be getting a PB this day.

Back to the start line, and a quick chat with Nick Brooke and Richard Boulter from Yeovil Town, both V50 rivals who would be tough competition. Nick had stuffed me out of sight (literally) over a similar distance at the start of the Wessex Ridgeway relay a couple of months back, and Richard had finished 6th at the Seaview 17 (actually more like 20) last Sunday - which easily cancels out my excuse BTW.

10:30 arrived and so we were off! A nice easy downhill start which soon turns into a slight uphill, and the first complaints from my legs muscles - I must have gone off too fast? But no, exactly on target pace, and Lin was still ahead of me! This was not a good sign. But I pressed on, overtaking first Lin, then Nick and maintaining speed through the slightly undulating first 3 or 4 miles,. I was imagining that I had left Nick well behind, but then he appeared, smoothly passing me on an uphill section, and I had to work hard to stay with him for another mile or two before realising it was futile. As he steadily pulled away I heard a little voice in my head telling me to drop back and run with Lin, but I ignored it and carried on pushing as hard as possible, gradually losing ground and hope of a decent time. Had I realised how close behind Lin was it might have spurred me on, although I didn't have much left at this point.

Another couple of miles dragged by, then a group of runners reeled me in, which included a fresh-looking Richard who cheerfully informed me that Lin was just behind. This was a very welcome bit of news which made me feel better because at least I could vicariously enjoy Lin's success, even if I was finding it increasingly hard to enjoy the race itself.
Richard and his group moved off into the distance, and then I heard the pitter-pat of little feet. No it was not Lin, but a tiny female runner with a Dorset vest - false alarm. A bit further, then into the last mile, and finally, the better half (she hates that expression - because it implies she and I are of equal size?) herself pulled alongside, and we ran together, both pushing hard, and too knackered to waste energy with even an attempt at conversation.

Our friend Jill greeted us as we turned on to the road for (at last!) - a brief downhill to the entrance to the field and the finish. Lin by now had opened up a slight lead, but I put her in her place with a tottering sprint to the line. Might as well enjoy beating her, even if by only a second, at the rate she is improving, she'll be beating me easily from now on.

Dave finished soon after, but unfortunately I missed him because I was back at the car chugging my protein recovery drink which I had reconstituted from a freebee sachet from the Big Sur Marathon Expo a couple of years ago, wish I hadn't bothered, it tasted foul. It took a while to get back to the finish area (half of the time taken up removing our pressure socks) to pick up an absolutely delicious Honeybuns cake and a t-shirt in a nice pale grey.

By now the horror of the ordeal had faded, and I enjoyed a pleasant relaxing cup of coffee and chat with Jill, Gareth, Pete and Ian before the prize-giving where Lin picked up her prize for finishing 4th female - in a very strong field - a great result.
A bit more chatting with a pair of fellow running couples Dawn and Jon, then Flora and Nick, then we were off home to Sydling. A celebratory drink at the pub is in order this evening I think!

3 comments:

Lin said...

Mixed feelings about yesterday's race - whilst I had a great one, when I caught sight of Martin ahead of me at 9 miles and began reeling him in I knew he was having a really bad one and would be disappointed. I can't pretend that it didn't feel great overtaking him near the end though, even if he did sprint back past me at the finish. I have no doubt he'll put me firmly back in my place at Haselbury on Wednesday.........

Lesley said...

With words like "vicariously" in your vocabulary you will surely go far in this world Martin. Enjoyed reading the blog.
Richard W

Unknown said...

Joining a race is fun!

I just started to love joining mini race since last week. There's an upcoming marathon event 2 weeks from now and I'm practicing every morning for it. Just bought a nice pair of newton running shoes and hope this gives me a nice comfortable feel.