Sunday, August 08, 2010

Shave Cross

Sat 7th Aug saw the Westgates at the 62nd Shave Cross. Another glorious sunny evening ideal for running and great for the bbq, lamb roast,skittles,tombola etc. A 10 foot strip around the field had been harrowed which proved a bit awkward for the unwary runner. After a few laps warming up I knew exactly which line to take and from the start I kept Dave Carnell in my sights. Out onto the road I was behind Dave but going up the first hill he passed two runners and then opened up as he stretched out downhill. I kept plugging away and after the water station was about 20 secs and 1 place behind.
At the end of the road section I was alonside Dave but knowing his potentially blistering finish I knew I had to push on. Dave said he had a bit of a stitch or was it wind or just a ploy? I said i wasn't pushing it as Lesley and I were racing at Sidmouth in the morning. Bluff and double bluff. Back onto grass I eased ahead and stayed in front even on the steep downhill field. Into the final field I had a reasonable gap and turning the corner towards the finish I was certain Dave's challenge was over and I relaxed. 5 seconds later I realised with horror that the gap was closing and my arms and legs went into emergancey sprint mode. The finish was getting closer and closer and so was Dave and with shouts and cheers ringing out we collapsed over the line. A photo finish at 33:55 but I might have got it by a short whisker.
Lesley and I had planned to go to the pub on the way home but got delayed by the prize giving. Although she was 2nd lady there was no prize for this category but she did get an embarrassingly large cup and trophy for 1st lady vet. (40:21 a PB)

No comments: