Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Johnny Kipps

What a start to our 25th year, with a little help from our friends at YTRRC and two MNR members on bikes a total of 26 people completed the 20th JK. There have been many years when you could count the runners on one hand taking part in this annual event, so it was a bit f a shock for Wynford Eagle having this many runners invading the peaceful village.
After a brief description of the route given by the chair and it was over to Lord Wynford to get the race underway (but not before telling us he was still in touch with Johnny and he is impressed to hear the event was still held in his name).

I have always found the start of this race difficult, as it seems a bit of a cross between a social run and a race. The only plan I had of trying to stick with Dave C when he made his dash to leave everyone else behind at the start was out the window when Dave retired to riding his bike round the route due to a foot injury.
Without any real plan I found myself taking to the front of the pack with in a very short distance, fully expecting to be joined and probably over taken at the first of the many hills crammed in to the first 2.5 miles of this route. Apart from a few shouts to slow down from Pete Jakeman, it soon became very quiet. By the time I started to climb the second hill I was beginning to think there was some plan I was not part of and everyone else had turned round and head for the nearest pub. Hearing Dave C giving words of encouragement to someone (is that multi tasking, riding a bike and talking Dave) reassured me there was still a race going on.
Still out on my own heading for the last and the steepest climb on the route I took a quick look behind, to see Dave Webb in pursuit. Still not believing I could hold this position for much longer, I pushed on trying to reassure myself if I was hurting Dave had to be. Finally at the top and grabbing a much appreciated drink, I actually started think I had a chance of winning. Still not sure how far back Dave was or if he was on his own, it was the turn back towards Wynford before I dared to take another look. which confirmed it was just Dave about 100meter back. I knew I could not let up if I was going to stand a chance of collecting the coveted biscuit tin, which had not graced the England household for many years.

With just the long straight ahead followed by the steep down hill to the finish, I had convinced myself I could win this race. That was until Dave C arrived on his bike, looking for a bit of reassurance I asked “is he gaining on me or am I doing OK”. The reply came well this strong wind could catch either one of you out, it really depends which one of you wants it the most. These reassuring words NOT, were followed by right I am off to the finish to let events unfold with out my influence (Thanks Dave). One final check before starting down the hill to the finish confirmed Dave W had found the wind just as tough as I had and was not closing the gap. This did not stop me continuing as fast as my legs would let me to the finish line.

I know this has turned into marathon report but I can’t finish with out thanking everyone for making the effort to turn up to start our 25th celebration it great fashion, well done Mike for producing a perfect set of results and Jackie and team for provide the drink station. O and of course Dave C for providing the biscuits, one down side with having so many runners the tin was all but empty by the time I got it home.

2011 promises’ to be an interesting race, this years winning time was exactly the same as last years. Add to that other runners not saving them self for a marathon the next week, it should be an interesting race.

1 comment:

Lin said...

Well as it turns out saving ourselves for a marathon was unnecessary thanks to a volcano in Iceland waking up for the first time in nearly 200 years........but I'm really glad you won this special JK Phil, you've done more than the rest of us put together to turn Maiden Newton Runners into a real running club. Just so everyone knows who to blame!!