Friday, April 23, 2010

The Honiton Hippo

Race Report by Dan Cantrell

I ran the Honiton Hippo on 18th April. Here’s a brief summary:

I saw Richard and Lesley on their way to the registration. They looked very surprised to see me at a race and asked if I knew what to do with the race number. I declined their implied offer of assistance, as I know how to pin on a number…although it’s bloody painful! Perhaps I should use sellotape next time?

The course description stated that there are hills and river crossings and we were not to be disappointed. The first few miles seemed to be one massive hill. I managed to run rather than walk, but I suspect that some of the walkers were faster. The route then took us through part of the Landrover experience course, which was good and bumpy – although not as boggy as I had expected. After that, we snaked our way through a few back gardens, where the race organisers had planted primroses and other flowers for us to admire. The race briefing stated that we were to treat the course with respect as it goes through private land, so I resisted the urge to eat the flowers. The river crossings were nice and cool and after one there was a marshal handing out jelly babies. I must have been nearer the front than I thought at this point as there were still some black ones left. It tasted much better than flowers.

The race was incredibly well organised, with marshals everywhere… I didn’t get lost once! At the end we received a very appropriate memento – a towel, and there were shortcake hippos with their feet dipped in chocolate. Just before I ate the hippo it became even more realistic, with fingerprints of real mud all over it!

All in all, a fantastic event.

2 comments:

Lesley said...

Well done Dan!!! Not only turning up for a race but a blog as well. Hope this will recommend it to fellow Maiden Newton Runners as it was an excellent race.

Lin said...

And Lesley is far too modest to mention that she is now a professional athlete having won a cash prize for 1st FV55.....we may be overseas but these important details don't escape us!!