Monday, February 22, 2010

Humdinger

Sunday 21st March saw the Westgates at the third Hestercombe Humdinger, a hilly 9.5-mile road race near Taunton. It was our first attempt at this race and we had heard some scary reports as to just how hilly it was. However looking at past finish times it still seemed quite fast. I set myself a target of 68 mins – mainly because my club colleague Karen Cook did it in 68:15 in 2008 and we have finished close on other races.

It’s strange as I pass through middle age into something approaching old age that an extra competitive edge has crept in. I actually caught myself looking around at the start for Les Lock or Martin Lascelles, two fellow 55 age groupers. I was pleased by their apparent absence but of course realised that among the large entry there could be many other rivals for the only 55 vet category prize.

At home our front drive was a sheet of ice after overnight rain and freezing temperatures so we were relieved to find the race ice-free and with some sun. My target time would mean an average pace about 7 mins 9 secs per mile but with the hills there would be great variation. Even so I think the first mile was short as I clocked an improbable 5 mins 20 secs. The first three miles are a loop back to Hestercombe which I reached in 19 mins 30 secs, feeling very good as I caught and passed Karen Cook. By mile 5 I had dropped off 7 min mile pace and was working hard. A little voice said you can just stop now and the pain will stop; a louder voice said yeah, but you’ll look pretty stupid walking on uninjured to the finish. Volis Hill is a long steep climb with tantalising false summits but finally after cresting there’s a terrific downhill charge to Gadds Bottom which then levels out in Kingston St Mary. I was getting a bit tired and as a further test we had to climb another side of Volis Hill. This section crested at Volis Cross which we had passed on the way out, and of course meant we could enjoy about another mile of fast downhill and then the 400m sprint up the drive to Hestercombe House. I finished reasonably comfortable in 69:52 a bit off my target but happy. By some miracle I got first MV55, on last year’s entry I would have been 4th. This meant Lesley had to make room on the trophy shelf. Herself finished in a very creditable 1:21:26.

1 comment:

martin said...

Well done Richard! Glad you kept going. And you weren't far off a prize Lesley. Sounds like a good race.