Thursday, February 11, 2010

Fulfords Five

In every sport there comes a time when a person decides to hang up their boots, gloves, bat or racquet. This could be for a variety of reasons, ill-health, poor performance, family commitments etc. after some 25 years of running I was beginning to question my future; my Mother has always been doom and gloom: “it’s no good for you, you’ll get bad knees and end up in a wheelchair”! Much to my chagrin the old soothsayer could be right as both my knees have been giving me a bit of gyp. The left one in particular seems to have turned into an instrument of torture causing me to waken from my bed in discomfort. The comforting touch of a friendly GP failed to pin the problem down, but she thought that finding nothing could be a good sign. Not one to go on, but my left hip and lower back have been twingeing, training has been sporadic and my recent 3K race indifferent.

So it was with some trepidation that I turned up at Exmouth for the Fulfords Five. On a good note the weather was perfect – about 6 degrees and barely a breath of wind. Warming up went well and with a good cross section of runners from SWRR I was bound to find someone to run with. I think the Gods were smiling’cos I clocked up mile one in 6:22 and still felt comfortable. Karen Cook who finished about 45 secs ahead on the recent 3K race was only just ahead. The Fulford Five does a small loop then a longer loop along the esplanade, back roads and centre of Exmouth, with the start and finish overlooking the Exmouth local nature reserve. A scattering of bystanders gave us some encouragement on this cold February morning. Mile two passed at sub 13 mins, mile three at 19:30 and I still felt good. Karen was still just ahead and she was tracking down another SWRR lady. From now on I was working but still felt good and went past Karen just after mile four, then caught the other SWRR lady. We ran together until about 250m from the finish. God was still smiling and I eased past her, but with about 150m to go Karen sprinted past. I let her go then about 70m out I thought what the hell, and went for it. Big mistake, as my stomach started griping but fortunately I managed to retain all its contents. Just as well as there were quite a few supporters here. By some miracle I finished just 4 secs behind Karen in 33:17 a 5 mile PB.

By another miracle, and just 9 days before my 55th birthday I got First MV50. My first ever first prize!!! And as a bit of icing on the cake: Dave, Jim and myself were First Men’s Vet team. On the way home I finally bought that long sought after hammock.

So the big question is, do I make this my swansong, or go for it as I enter a new age category?

PS Even a few inconsiderate pedestrians couldn’t keep Lesley from winning another prize – this time 2nd FV55 in 38:03, knocking an amazing 2:30 off her time here last year.

1 comment:

martin said...

Glad the race went so well, Richard and Lesley. Congratulations on the prizes, especially yours Richard.
Hope its just the start of an "annus mirabilus" as her majesty would say. Which is just a fancy way of saying well done mate, keep it up.

If you email me your pictures, I'll add them to your post.