Monday, December 07, 2009

Full monty-cute

Sunday 6th December saw the Westgates at Ham Hill for the 11th Full Monty-cute trail race. After missing Bicton through injury this was a real treat. Just over 10 miles of multi-terrain including ten hills and some lovely mud after the recent bad weather. Nice to see Dave Webb at the race HQ, back in the car park we found him parked immediately in front of us. Hopefully I prayed he wouldn’t be in front of me at the finish. Weather was breezy, bright and warm for December. Going was heavy and ambitiously I set off too near the front at a silly pace. I saw five potential rivals who have beaten me before and decided to just go for it. Before long Dave went past but I sort of slid back past him on a very muddy downhill slope. By mile 3 I was gasping for a drink, how long to the next water station. I was dripping sweat and eventually was able to tip two cups of water over my head and drink one. Pressing on a marshal counted me off in 24th position, impossibly hopeful!

At a road crossing were familiar faces – Lin and Martin cheering us on. Saw the six-mile marker and knew it was going to hurt from now on. A Wells City runner chatted for a while; he was expecting his partner to go past at any moment and sure enough she caught up and passed, looking fresh as a daisy. (Not surprisingly she was first lady). At the top of another hill were the enthusiastic Lascelles. “No walking aloud” I heard as I plodded upwards – I was walking quietly. Brief wave, short pause at the drink station, then sharp right and I caught a glimpse of Dave only seconds behind, damn…


Managed to put a bit of distance between us down a downhill rutted slurry track, but didn’t feel too good. By about mile nine he had caught up and gone past, but on another grassy hill I caught him again and tried to convince myself that he didn’t look good at all. Didn’t work and he pushed ahead. Coming to the finish I just accepted I wasn’t going to catch him and he finished about twenty seconds ahead. However just before the finish there was a tempting puddle and I jumped two-footed into it, “well done” a marshal called out “you’re the only one who has done the course properly!”

Time was irrelevant, 27th was good enough for me, and a spot prize as well. Walking back to the car with Dave he let it slip that he was hoping that I would have a bit of stomach trouble, to make sure that he stayed ahead!

Some words from Lesley:

From Richard’s account you’d think only a couple of Maiden Newton Runners were there, but in fact there were quite a few of us. Andy Staples spent the last few minutes before the start frantically trying to find Charlie and Olivia to give them their numbers. However that was the last I saw of them as we were off. Lovely start, going past the monument with the sun shining, and even saw three deer crossing the path right in front of me, but all too soon we had reached “that” hill. Was pleased to find a rope – climbing practice and running at the same time! But some of those ahead were still making slow progress, so I struck off into the undergrowth and pulled myself up using any handholds available. Hated the steep down hill muddy bits and loads of people went past me on them, but the downhill grassy slopes were another matter, and I was flying past other runners by avoiding the path and running in the long grass and nettles. Pleasantly surprised to see Lin and Martin at the top of another grassy hill, but told them what I thought when they asked if I was doing Exeter 3K the following day!!!

By now my legs were dead and a lot of plodding followed, especially up hill 9 through the woods. Tried to run up hill 10 but “falling forward slowly” would be a more accurate description. The sight of parked cars and the encouragement of a fellow runner helped me through the last half mile, although I repaid him by overtaking shortly before the finish. No jumping in puddles for me, my lace had come undone again and I was glad to reach the line without falling over. I did have a speck of mud on my vest from a slight fall, but my trusty water bottle was in a sorry state after getting dunked in some particularly vile mud.

1 comment:

martin said...

Well done everybody, especially Olivia! Photos from the top of that grassy undulation will shortly appear on the website gallery.