Thursday, October 29, 2009

Taunton 3K

Tuesday 28th October saw the Westgates at the inaugural 3K race on the Castle School floodlit track in Taunton. The event was put on by Ironbridge Runner following their success with the 3K series in Exeter. Racing conditions were good, warm for the time of year with not too much breeze. With a youngster’s one-mile race, followed by three seeded groups the evening went smoothly. Unfortunately some of the runners didn’t go quite so smoothly; still lacking match-fitness I recorded a personal worst at 12:09 but was reasonably happy and at least I didn’t finish last in my group. Lesley recorded 13.33 (PB) and neither did she finish last in her group, in fact she finished second. Also present were the three running members of the Lascelles clan................

Lin said:

Martin, Alex and I made the very long trip for a very short race, about 2 and a quarter hours of driving for a combined time of about 35 minutes of running.  Alex went in the first race and finished 3rd in about the expected time.  I was stitched up and found myself in group A as most of the people in group B lied about their expected finish times.  Both Martin and I based our times on recent 5k times and actually ran slower 3ks than we normally run through the 3k mark of a 5k.  This resulted in me finishing in a humiliating last place, just in case anyone is in any doubt as to who Richard is having a dig at!  Martin recorded 10.44 and I crossed the line in 11.50 although Taunton AC have kindly changed this to 12.23 in the results just to make me feel even worse about the evening.
I know maths isn't my strong point but I'm still trying to work out how 12.09 is more of a PW than the 12.24 Richard ran in the 3rd round of the Exeter series..... perhaps the same people were recording the times that night...........................

2 comments:

Lesley said...

A few miles to travel but what else would an old married couple be doing on a Tuesday night. Spooky or what? it feels like big brother but I could find no record of my PW of 12-24. However after turning out cupboards full of paper results I must concede that big sister was right.

martin said...

Hey Richard, isn't it about time you got your own Blogger login, instead of masquerading as Lesley, its very confusing...