Sunday, October 18, 2009

Muddle and Stagger


Sunday 11th October saw the Westgates at the Mendip Muddle although only half of us would run as I had to DNS through illness. Driving up through the gorge headlights were de rigueur as low mist obscured the hill tops. As the rain increased I was not too unhappy about not running but, by Christ, it can be deadly frustrating being a runner at an event and not running. With my nose stuck in a book in the warm car I presume Lesley got off to a safe start so over to her:

Yes, off to a safe start, the rain didn’t start straight away, but it was still quite slippery underfoot, and after recovering from NFM my aim was just to get round in one piece. As we increased height we ran into mist and rain, bogs and puddles underfoot, a rapidly disappearing path and I couldn’t see a thing. I let the runner behind me go past hoping to follow a bright vest, and it was the smallest person in skimpy black running gear. Was glad to get that section out of the way, although we encountered something similar on the way back. I had carefully avoided looking at last year’s results so was pleased to find that in spite of my leisurely approach I has actually finished a minute quicker. And still in good shape, so all I needed was a few training miles and I would be fit for the Stagger the following week. Back to Richard:

Sunday 18th October saw the Westgates at Minehead for one of our favourite events the Exmoor Stagger. At the last moment Lesley had to switch to the Stumble as a precautionary measure having fallen over in the garage on Saturday. Once again the weather played a major role, it was perfect. Even on the exposed Beacon, the highest point on Exmoor, I felt comfortably warm. Previous years have seen torrential rain and howling gales. Coming back from injury and illness I really didn’t know what to expect. Near the start I spotted Eleanor Wood, a very good runner, but someone that on my day I should be able to beat – at the Seaview she left me for dead. Anyway I used her as a sort of pacemaker/target, and then slowly went past her after about 26 minutes. Running conditions really were perfect and this year I managed to run, albeit slowly, all the way up the climbing section to the top of Dunkery Beacon, and had plenty of energy to “enjoy” the downhills on the second half. As usual the climb after Wootton Courtenay was particularly energy sapping but I soon got going at the top. Didn’t look behind in case others were chasing me down, just ran my own race. Started to become very tired on the last mile and 5 or 6 men passed me. Felt good crossing the finish in 2:32:47, one of my better times, and the aforementioned Eleanor Wood came in a matter of seconds behind! I must say Minehead put on some of the best refreshments on the race circuit and I soon tucked into a large slab of walnut cake – no sickness today!!!! Over to Lesley again:

I was not a happy bunny!! Saturday morning, feeling fit and well I walked into the garage, bucket of washing in hand and promptly fell over a piece of wood, landing heavily on my right hand and right knee. It was quite painful and I took some time and effort just getting back on my feet, and there was plenty of abuse about the state of the floor. Luckily nothing appeared to be broken. Spent the rest of the day with my arm in a sling unable to do the simplest of jobs until I decided a hot bath might help, which it did. So Sunday morning dawned bright and sunny, the first time for years there have been good conditions for the Stagger. I couldn’t bear to do nothing so decided a slow trot round the Stumble might make me feel better. Well, runners do seem to have a competitive edge, and I thought I’m not likely to fall on the nice tarmac first half mile, so decided I might as well try and get going. Rest of the race went well, although was cautious on the downhill rocky bits. Coming up to the last section I heard footsteps behind me and that competitive bit kicked in again. As soon as I got to the tarmac I started to leg it to the finish, and the person behind stopped trying to overtake. Finished in 1:06 (some 4 minutes faster than in 2005) and was pleased to find they were giving prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd in all categories, so got a 2nd place trophy to add to the windowsill.

No comments: