Monday, June 15, 2009

Run in the Wild 10k

Race report by Dave Carnell

Sunday the 7th June saw the inaugural running of the ‘Run in the Wild’ race at Cricket St Thomas in Somerset.

Generally bright and ambient weather on the day helped ensure this was a well attended event and would have meant perfect conditions had it not rained heavily overnight. I’m afraid it was, as they say, “a bit slippy underfoot”, which was not entirely to this particular runners taste. Some might call me fussy but, hey, I can’t help liking it a bit grippier.

The start of the race was also a touch dastardly, being as it was right next to the Black Swan Pub (running away was always going to be hard) and then going immediately into a protracted climb to probably the highest point on the course – cruel indeed!

This affront to sensible running was only softened by the downhill sweep that followed this section and enabled this moaning narrator to regain lost ground on some fellow runners.

In fact, this theme of up and down, was true for most of the course, which although very scenic proved quite challenging. So much so that it delivered quite a close race between runners with different styles and fitness. So much so that I spent the last mile or so in a tight race with Richard W, with neither of us realising that we were in danger of being hauled in by Lin and Martin L who were in hot pursuit.

Happily for me the last kilometre to the finish was all down hill and I think Richard assumed I would be able to get ahead so didn’t contest the position with too much enthusiasm. Much to the good as I was knackered and the tank was well and truly dry.

All in all, a good race and one to recommend for the future.

1 comment:

martin said...

I was still suffering from the Forde Abbey when we ran at Cricket St Thomas, that's my excuse anyway. We were supposed to be taking it slightly easy to save ourselves for the 5k, but as soon as Lin was overtaken by one of her age-group rivals on the first hill that plan went out the window, and I was struggling to keep up with her.
I agree about the race, it should go from strength to strength. Very well organised, and marshalled, and superb scenery.