Sunday, June 14, 2009

Ninesprings

Maiden newton runners were out in force for this 9K event held by YTRRC in the Ninesprings park. a total of 7 MNR's line up for the start on what was a very warn morning, Di & Mike, Charlie, Andrew (full member after paying his sub to day), new boy Richard and the old timers Dave C and me.
After a race brief by Mr Chaffy explaining all the hazards we could come across on this two lap off road course which took for ever (big mistake giving him a microphone). Dave and I took off to close to the front and spent the first K trying to second guess each other race plan, having done this race last year I had a slight advantage over Dave knowing what was to come. I was planning to stick close and run at Dave's pace, but as with all my race plans they go out the window as soon as I cross the start line. taking advantage of Dave slowing on the second hill heading up towards the A37 for the first time I pulled away from him, being told by the Marshall on the road junction I was in 10 place I push on even more, gain a couple more places heading back in to the park. still worrying that Dave was going to come pass me at any time One lap over and heading back to the hills for the second time. At the top of the first climb I had glance back to see 3 runners a little way back, but none were in Crewkerne vests. that should have been the time to ease off, but with the thought of finishing in the first ten seem to push me on. the last 500metre's are all down hill, with one last look to ensure I was not going to be beaten to the finish line I managed to Sprint to finish in 8 place.

Collecting a well need drink I wait to cheer the rest of Team MNR over the finish line. I was soon joined by Dave, unfortunately I have forgotten the order of the next 2 was it Richard or Mick not sure, but then came Charlie Spencer looking like she had been for a stroll in the park, not a 9K race. She was followed by new member Andy and then Di, all back safe in just over the hour.

Dave and I were still hanging around when the results were announced (no we weren't hopping for a category award), not really listening to what was being said (Sorry Martin) we heard MNR being mentioned. Charlie Spencer had won first vet45, knowing the rest had left I collected the award for her (the only way I will ever collect one). unknown to me a Friend of a Friend of Charlies sister was at the event. several text messages later and Charlie was on the hunt for her well earned trophy (which involved a trip back to Yeovil), by this time it was being transported back to MN by push bike. Winner and trophy were reunited by the end of the afternoon.
Come on lets see if we can get in to double figures at race before the end of the year (not until after Martin has played his Joker)

1 comment:

martin said...

Well done Phil, you had a real flier, especially considering that you rode to the race. I'm looking forward to racing you, and at least 8 other MNR members at the Haslebury trail, and the MC Loop!