Saturday, May 05, 2012

Poole Runners Summer Series - Race 1

Last night Martin and I headed down to Upton Park near Poole for the first 3.5 mile race in the summer series organised by Poole Runners.  Although we have enjoyed a couple of seasons of the winter series of 5k races also put on by Poole, it has taken us a while to get around to the  summer version - although summer was not a word you would readily use to describe the weather last night.  The setting could not be faulted - the park is lovely - the cold, gloomy weather was anything but.  The race started at 7.30 and I was getting worried that I would need a head torch, there was never any question about whether or not to wear gloves!


Our expectations were low as we lined up at the start - our legs are still in post marathon recovery state and I had a disgusting snotty cold as further excuse for poor performance - but we had decided a race would be a good boost to our rapidly declining fitness levels and so at 7.30 we joined in the headlong rush from the start line, conveniently situated next to the toilet block in the car park!


Despite this inauspicious start the rest of the route was lovely as we turned, almost immediately, onto a pleasant tree lined track to begin our first lap. My legs felt light and strong and I set off at a brisk pace keeping Martin well within sight for most of the first mile and a half. There were some tight turns and muddy bits, not to mention a few tree roots and then a section of easy running along a board walk with the lake to our right. I was very aware of a female rival breathing down my neck on the first lap and just before we re-entered the car park to begin our second circuit she passed me but then seemed to slow down.  As we ran down the tree lined lane for the second time I overtook her and she seemed to fade and drop away.


Most of the second loop was really hard work as my legs began to protest at the misuse they were suffering but it was made slightly easier knowing what lay ahead and although I was expecting to be overtaken at any moment I managed to hang on to the lead in the ladies race despite another challenger appearing on my shoulder.  The finish funnel came into view much sooner than expected as the race did not finish where it started and Martin was there encouraging me to sprint in for an unofficial time of 22.34.  He had finished over a minute ahead in 21.23 and although the results have not yet been posted I suspect he will have been the first V55 finishing as he did somewhere in the top ten.


All things considered a good result and we are already looking forward to the next one!


This is a really excellent race and a very pleasant way to spend a Friday evening, especially if the weather is more seasonal!  Here is a link to the rest of the series just in case anyone is tempted:   http://poolerunners.digital-trip.co.uk/Files/Summer-Time-Trial-Series-2012.aspx

No comments: