Friday, February 10, 2012

Street 5k

by Dave Carnell

After my tardy time at the recent Humdinger event, I’m pleased to report that the February Street 5k went a whole lot better. Conditions were a little on the nippy side for a softie like me, but I’d had the foresight to don my secret weapon, l### j###s (partially redacted to retain secrecy), so I stayed nice and toastie.

Knowing the first corner is always an issue at this race, I decided to try a sprint down the hill to get ahead of the main pack so I could take the tight line on the footpath, instead of going across the grass and into the road like I normally do. Great idea, but the guys at the front go like crazy and don’t take any prisoners when it comes to a bit of squeeze, so it was all a bit dicey, but I did just about survive the corner.

I then had to back off to get my breath back and let the speedier troops charge on ahead. I confess that in the dark, knowing that that Harwood chap was disguised in Wells blue, I assumed he was amongst the throng disappearing into the distance so completely forgot about him.

After the climb back to the High Street (yes, I know it’s only a gentle upward slope, but I like them going the other direction) I managed to get some rhythm back and gradually stopped letting too many runners from overtaking. The next three laps passed without any great excitement until, coming back up to the High Street before the last lap, Nick Brooke came past. I’m used to seeing him waiting almost recovered at the finish but I like to try and wind him up a bit so gave chase for a while before the final upward slope got the better of me.

It was just coming up to the top of that final slope that Clive H’s notoriety did him a distinct disservice as I heard fellow Wells marshals egging him on, so I knew he was actually behind me – yiks! This hasn’t happened in a race before and I confess I knew Clive was not firing on all cylinders, so I thought kick, go and hope I could make it down the High Street to the last turn before I folded.

Hallelujah, I managed to keep going and finished just ahead of Clive and with a Street PB of 19:20. I was also tantalising close to catching up with Nick B again.

A good run for me and a slight pity that I had to rush away, turning the inside of my car into a sauna (thank heavens for screen heaters) and passing up a rare chance to goad some fellow runners, as well as missing out on my traditional coffee and a gold bar back at the hall.

One more event to go in the series – I can dream!

1 comment:

Lesley said...

Richard W said:

Well done Dave, above average performance, blog wasn't too bad either.