Sunday, November 06, 2011

Yarcombe Yomp

Another great low key Axe Valley Runners event - and in case you think you're seeing things, Martin and I did sport our new yellow vests and run as second claim Axe Valley Runners!

This is a (approximately) 10 mile race comprising of two 5 mile loops. We were expecting it to be "gloopy" as Dave Carnell would say, after the rain of late and we weren't disappointed. A cavalry charge from the start across the first field found us in a gateway blocked by a large puddle which was nearly deep enough for a swim and the following fields were soft going to say the least.

I started off at what I felt was a conservative pace but still found myself near the front of what was quite a small field (60 finishers) and with Martin behind me spent the whole race expecting him to overtake me at any minute. After a mile and a half or so the first climb began and I could hear a female runner behind me. I was struggling with tired legs and expected her to pass me and leave me for dead but as we steadily climbed the hill she began to fall back again and I pushed as hard as I could up seemingly endless fields. A brief reprieve from the climb as we came out onto a road and a glorious flat few hundred yards before turning into a narrow, steep and stony track which reduced the runner in front of me to a walk and soon had the same effect on me.

At last we reached the top of the first lap but even then there was no respite for tired legs as we followed a deeply rutted, muddy track strewn with fallen branches, brambles and large stones presenting no easy way through. Another road crossing, some more muddy track and finally a sharp left turn and the beginning of the glorious descent back down to the start.....I didn't look back to see if I had shaken my female rival off and was still expecting Martin and my other rival, Richard Boulter from YTRRC, to swoop past me on the downhill, but I reached the finish/start line without that happening and started on my second lap trying not to think about the mud, hills and obstacles still ahead.

As I reached the welcome flat road on my second lap I risked a glance back and sure enough, Martin was only 50 yards or so behind me with just one Honiton runner between us. I knew I could hold him off on the uphill but that he could easily out sprint me on the steep descent so I gave the final climb everything I'd got and then legged it through the woods hoping I could do enough to stay ahead of him.

At the turning point where the downhill began the Honiton runner was hot on my heels but Martin had not closed the gap. Running downhill on a steep stony track as fast as I dared I just hoped that I didn't catch a toe and do one of my famous crashing falls. Fortunately after a road crossing the rest of the run was across fields and even though they were steeply downhill at least I was assured of a soft landing if I nose dived. As I entered the last field the Honiton runner caught me and we sprinted neck and neck for the line where he just managed to pip me to the post although the time keeper kindly gave us the same time. As he suffered the comments of the on-lookers about lack of gallantry I looked back to see Martin approaching looking for all the world like he'd been out for a little Sunday stroll - whilst I heaved and gasped desperately trying to refill my lungs - but a victory is a victory regardless of your state at the finish line!

We finished in 5th and 6th places respectively and once again the benefits of ripe old age told as were 1st and 2nd age graded overall.

Off to the village hall where the modest entry fee included a bowl of delicious home made soup, a roll, a dazzling array of cake and tea or coffee. Axe Valley really do know how to put on a great event.

This was the last race in the East Devon Community race series which started back in February with the Dalwood Three Hills race, and I am delighted to report that Martin was the overall runaway winner in this event having had some fantastic results at Charmouth and the Dalwood 10k where he scored so many points that no-one had any hope of catching him.


No comments: