Saturday, June 11, 2011

The London Marathon 2011:

by Olivia

After a forest of bananas, a novel worth of advice and enough water to flood the Thames I can finally say I have completed the London Marathon.

The 17th of April came round in such a flash that the feeling of nerves only really set in on the Saturday on the way up to the Big Smoke. After dozens of good luck messages began to show up on my phone reality had set in that I was about to take on the biggest challenge of my life to date.

During the day on Saturday I continuously and very kindly reminded my darling mother that this year was in fact about me as at every marathon reminder (which is London is every second ) came her words “ ooo I so wish I was doing it this year”!!

After the biggest pasta dish of my life I then got my head down to conserve as much energy as I possibly could for the day to follow.

At about 4.00pm on Sunday the 17th of April, medal in hand I had completed the London marathon. My only criticism of the day was the cruel process of walking what feels like another marathon to receive my kit bag and to find my family members in a sea of faces who after 26.2 miles all look the same !!

It struck me after I had finished that I had been in such a daze on the way round that I believe I missed many of London’s landmarks , but the images that will stick with me forever will be the fabulous attempts of runners who believed the challenge of just simply running wasn’t enough !

I want to first of all say a big thank you to all at Maiden Newton runners for all their help and support, and also my family who’s cheering kept me going when I truly believed my feet were to fall off . But my main thank you goes to my biggest inspiration – My mum, who through seeing her complete her first marathon last year inspired me to follow in her footsteps (literally). But will be letting her take the credit for next years marathon as never say never but just not for now.

No comments: