Thursday, May 07, 2009

London Marathon 2009

Race Report by Charlie Bladon

Graciously favoured with Maiden Newton Running Club’s guaranteed place in the 2009 Flora London Marathon, my preparations started in mid-November with an increase in mileage to build up to a carefully crafted 16 week training plan beginning in early January. Clearly the people who write these schedules know what they are doing as it started with a rest day to get over the endless Christmas parties. Pretty soon though it got into the swing of things with ‘hill sessions’ (as if it wasn’t hilly enough around here), ‘threshold work’ (everything seemed to be at above my pain threshold), ‘long runs’ (did what they say on the tin) and ‘fartlek’ (a Swedish invention, involving pain again). Many cold mornings later the long-awaited taper period finally arrived, involving two weeks of drastically reduced mileage from a peak of about 45 a week, and much increased fuel – i.e. food – intake. Just as I was getting into the swing of it race day arrived.

Clearly word had got out about my superb preparation as defending champion and three time winner Martin Lel from Kenya withdrew the night before, obviously quaking in his shoes. I too was nervous as I made my way to the start, which resembled a massive music festival with runners converging on Blackheath from all directions. It took five minutes to cross the start line and already the sun had burnt off the early morning mist and it was obviously going to be very hot. Described once by my tactful tailor as someone who might prefer ‘a more generous fit’ I soon realised I was going to find it hard work, but the people of London were out in force all the way around, ten deep in places, to lend their very vocal support. In addition there was superb marshalling and water points every mile or so, and energy drinks every four miles. They put on extra drinks as it was so hot.

Much of the race (I use that word loosely) passed in a blur. The area around Cutty Sark (7 miles) was a disappointment – very narrow and everyone slowing to a walk, but Tower Bridge (12.5 miles) lived up to expectations and as it was practically the half way point was symbolic in several ways. Canary Wharf (17-18 miles) was impressive too and was the first time I had seen the area at close hand. I knew from the route map that after 20 miles it was a fairly straight run all the way to the finish along the river and by the time I passed that mile marker I was beginning to tire. However I was buoyed up as I overheard two of my fellow athletes, thin as beanpoles, and clearly experienced runners, telling each other how they hated the final six miles of marathons as they represented such pain. Just what I wanted to hear!

After about 22 miles Big Ben appeared in the distance, and stayed there for what seemed like an unsportingly long time – if anything it seemed to get further away, not nearer. Finally, the Palace of Westminster was reached, then Parliament Square and Birdcage Walk, by which point any pretence of reaching my target time had long since evaporated in the heat and I just wanted to finish. It was an almost surreal experience rounding the corner by Buckingham Palace and seeing the finish line, as I had on the television many times, and seeing myself on the big television screen. Sadly by that point the BBC had long since stopped transmitting and the following two hour Eastenders omnibus was almost finished, so no chance of being spotted live on air. Fortunately the official photographs were there to capture a redness of face hitherto believed impossible by medical experts.

The finish was a relief but the helpers magnificent. Pre race literature had advised keeping walking for a little and as the nearest open tube station was two miles away, that is what I did. By the time I arrived back at my lodgings in Kew an hour later I had to be helped up from my seat on the tube by an old lady as my legs had seized up, which remained the case for three days, during which time I entered next year’s race, so I suppose I must have enjoyed it!

Thank you to everyone at MNRC for their invaluable support and for subtly increasing the distances run every weekend – yes I did notice. Thank you also to everyone who sponsored me helping to raise over £2,000 for the Dorset and Somerset Air Ambulance – it’s not too late! www.justgiving.com/charliebladon

1 comment:

Lesley said...

A belated "well done" for your efforts. 45 miles a week is really impressive, I never got near that. Good to see that you're already considering another one. Excellent blog as well. look forward to reading the next one!!!