Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Dalwood Three Hills

Sunday 22nd February saw the Westgates and the Lascelles at the Dalwood 3 Hills. Any race organised by Axe Valley with hills in the title should ring alarm bells for any wimps looking for a fast flat race. Considering the hundreds of races Lin and Martin have entered it was a surprise to learn they were Dalwood virgins, but by the end of the day they had left their mark.

Axe Valley like to make you work for your money. A stamped addressed envelope rewards you with race number only – no directions or parking info etc. Dalwood is a very small community nestling in at the bottom of a valley and some navigational skill is needed if you want to get to the start in good time. I’m not sure who, but someone decided the competitors’ car park wasn’t good enough and decided to park a small red car on a narrow corner about quarter of a mile along the course. The Yeovil Town Road Runner sticker in the rear window offers some clue to the culprit.

It really was a perfect February morning; above average temperatures, little breeze and enough sun to warrant donning the shades. The start seemed friendly, informal and relaxed, however near the front line were five SWRRs who were obviously looking to do well. Lin and Martin were just ahead on my left and Lesley was lurking somewhere behind. (Making my way towards the back, chatting and completely oblivious to the starting gun). There might well be Three Hills, of note, but there seemed very little flat. From the start we climbed, passing the aforementioned small red car and then followed a friendly marshal’s directions onto a track. This race was well marshalled and I loved some of the characters. Some of them were traditional race-supporters with helpful children at water stations. Others seemed to be local farmers or landowners who just stood like scarecrows making no movement or eye contact with passing runners. They were obviously happy to be there to help, but probably thought all runners were mad and had their minds on crop production or the price of lamb.

Within five minutes Martin went past; he seemed very focused and didn’t say anything; I didn’t look behind but expected Mrs Lascelles to be in close proximity. The first four miles are a loop that brings the runners back past the start and the village hall, but not the small red car. I remember running across grassy fields, then hills, then stony tracks. Lesley remembers trampling frogspawn in flooded tracks. Others remarked that she has an evil grin as she walks over lower life forms. Talking of which I remember going through five miles at 40:45 and thinking that wasn’t too bad. I then clocked an 11 minute-mile and came back to earth. I had a target and was losing it. My target had involved me doing a series of 10-mile very hilly training runs. It had also involved me abstaining from alcohol for FIVE whole days. Given my high-pressure executive lifestyle, this took some commitment.

At about 6 miles I heard male and female voices behind me. How can anyone run and maintain a conversion on such a hilly course? Soon they glided past, but on a steep and stony downhill I blundered past them and stayed ahead for another mile. I didn’t have the strength to push on and once again they passed me, finishing 30 seconds ahead; the female being the 1st Lady. The last hill brings the runners to an exposed grassy hump overlooking the village down in the valley. From now on it is steeply downhill, only to be slowed by a field with a very boggy/watery corner. The final sprint to the finish along the Corry Brook gives spectators a good photo opportunity. Not quite the same as wildebeast floundering through crocodile infested waters, but there was a small bank to climb and there could have been giant rats. A very enjoyable run.

Congrats to Mrs Lascelles who got 2nd Ladyand to Martin who finished "fresh as a daisy" some 7 minutes ahead of me. I came home with a PW and Lesley with shoes full of mushy frogspawn. Note from Lesley: I achieved my own personal target which was to beat Bev and Jo. Last year Bev left me standing on the final downhill, and Jo crashed past me on the final sprint across the river. This year the cunning plan was to get a bit ahead earlier on and maintain the gap. However it was all guess work as I never saw them after the first quarter mile.

1 comment:

Lin said...

We parked according to the detailed race information sent out by the organiser. In other words since there was no race information, no signposting, no parking marshalls and we hadn't been to Dalwood before we parked in the first available spot. In our defence there was someone else parked there when we arrived but they obviously thought better of it and subsequently joined the sheep in the field. Apart from that, great race, great course, great mud, lots of water to splash around in and great cakes afterwards. Given the state of my legs I was well pleased to finish in second place. Slightly puzzled and disappointed to be awarded a trophy and told "take a photo and give it back, you can't take it with you"!!!
Congratulations on beating your rivals Lesley, another sign of your continuing improvement, and to Martin who had a great run and the energy to run back up the last hill afterwards to meet me and encourage me over the line.