Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Cornish Marathon

Sunday 16th November saw the Westgates at the 25th Anniversary Cornish Marathon. It’s with very mixed emotions that this blog is being written cos after 18 marathons the Cornish was a bit of a landmark. I’ve come to the conclusion that the pain my stomach has to endure, during and after the race is just not worth it. For those of you who have seen the race results, this decision has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that Lesley slightly beat me by about 5 minutes! There was a possibility that race numbers got mixed up or a weasely claim that I dropped out after pacing her for 21 miles, but the truth is she ran much better than me. For those who I haven’t bored with the details of my stomach problems it goes like this: at some point my stomach seems to stop absorbing any fluid that I take on board. As I get thirstier I drink more but it just sits in my stomach and I start to feel very sick and weak and dehydrated. On a bad run I stop and puke at the road side then try and pick up the pace again. For up to three hours or so after a race I am still unable to eat or drink without puking. So on top of the normal aches and pains of marathons this is just a stage too far, so unless someone can suggest a miracle cure I won’t run this distance again.

Back to the Cornish. Quite a trek down to Pensilva near Launceston Drove through loads of low cloud and heavy drizzle, but it was mild with not too much wind – perfect for marathon running. We had a race plan. I would run with Lesley, calling out mile times etc. until 20 miles and then perhaps push on ahead. She promised not to keep talking but as a precautionary measure I brought some earplugs, but went and left them in the car. Saw some familiar faces at the start – Alan Littlejohns of Launceston RR dressed in a tutu, bra and a brilliant gorilla head piece; Mr Wells City (don’t know his name), Danny from the 100 marathon club who we saw at the Neolithic, Robin from Dawlish Coasters, and of course Jenny Mills.

Starting off near the back you can’t hear a word the race director says – so why do they bother? The first two miles are laps of Pensilva passing the start twice; this was great for the spectators and a good gentle warm-up for the runners before the hills. This is described as a tough course. After the initial 2 mile loops, there is a 5 mile section to Redgate, a 14 mile loop up the Draynes valley and across Bodmin Moor and down the Fowey Valley, before rejoining the 5 mile section back to Pensilva. Running with Lesley proved fairly relaxing at about 9.5 min/mile pace. However as soon as we hit any hills I found it easier power walk while she pulled away; going downhill I found it easier to increase my pace, caching her up and going a little ahead. On the level I ran a bit behind; this was not so I could admire her running style, but rather keep out of earshot as she kept striking up conversations with strangers. She gave up talking to me when, pretending not to have heard, I kept asking her to repeat herself.

In retrospect I am glad that I didn’t realise that we went out and back along the same 5 mile section; there were a few demanding hills which would definitely have worried me; ignorance is bliss. We didn’t have to climb much before being rewarded with some good views. Across the moor it got a bit cooler and although Colliford Lake was very scenic it generated a cool wind; fortunately I was wearing long-sleeve helly, club vest, running jacket, gloves and a woolly hat, bit of a wimp really. At Bolventor (Jamaica Inn) there was a welcome crowd of supporters. I must say that even in the quiet, remote bits there were supporters and cyclists going up and down cheering us on. At Jamaica Inn we turned right and right again to follow the Fowey Valley. Immediately the temperature picked up and there were glimpses of sun. It was downhill for as far as we could see and we felt good. Our target was to do better than 10-minute miling, and we were still doing about 9.5. Optimistically I said to Lesley that if we continued at this steady pace we would probably pick off some runners later on who had over-cooked it. Following the Fowey there were stagnant pools of water and trees full of lichen. All along a scattering of cheering supporters – probably the same ones moving around.

We did, in fact, catch and pass several runners and this felt so good. After about 19 miles, I noticed, with some horror, a range of hills ahead. Lesley assured me it was OK as we would go round them, rather than over them, It seemed she was right, we did rise a bit, but there was some downhill as well. At about 21 miles I noticed Mr Wells City stretching against a supporter’s car; he told us he was bushed! While I exchanged a few words Lesley took the opportunity to pull ahead going uphill. I was starting to feel sick and my brain convinced my body that all would be well if I just walked the steeper bits and caught her up on the downhills. However after that first hill I never saw her again. There was a good downhill to Crows Nest and I was sure she would be just ahead, but no. From Crows Nest there’s about two miles to go with about 1.5 miles of heart-breaking uphill. Towards the top some runners I had passed miles back went back past me.

It came over very misty with drizzle and I didn’t really care about anything anymore. Every time I tried to push on, my stomach felt so bad. After what seemed like an eternity or to quote an East Cornwall Harrier “the road seemed to stretch endlessly like a rubber band”, we at last levelled out, and turned left for 50 metres on the main Liskeard to Launceston road before the final half-mile downhill to the finish. An Axe Valley Runner who I had passed as we both struggled up from Crows Nest went back past me. This seemed to spark into life a final bit of competitive spirit and I somehow found the energy to catch and pass him before the finish.

The finish was a bit of a blur but I remember fumbling with my coat to show my number. I found myself shrouded in a space blanket refusing all offers of water. Lesley was there! She said she would have waited but she thought I was just behind her. She looked fresh as a daisy and took herself off for a shower, followed by a cup of tea and a pasty. I laid out under the space blanket on the sports hall floor trying not to be sick. 20 minutes later I dragged myself into the shower. Later on I was in the toilet voiding alternately at both ends.

Back in the hall Lesley nonchalantly informed me that she might have won another prize! Carry on like this and she’ll be disappointed to come away empty-handed. Prize giving was very noisy with several clubs having large contingents. As predicted Maiden Newton scored – 2nd FV50. For the record Lesley’s time was 4:11:52, and mine was 4:16:04.

Jenny Mills was very sympathetic to my plight – take up long distance walking. Five miles into the journey home, (with Lesley driving) we had to stop so I could engage in some projectile vomiting. I think Jenny was right. Some 15 minutes later as if someone had flicked a switch I suddenly felt better and ate a mars bar and then my pasty – it felt like Heaven. However I’m still not doing any more marathons.

Anyway I’m so pleased for Lesley. It seems like only yesterday when she started running and she would do 1 minute running followed by 3 minutes walking and she would claim I didn’t give her the full 3 minutes. How times have changed.

In spite of everything I highly recommend this race to anyone; it’s very well organised, friendly marshals and helpers at the water stations and top facilities at the roomy HQ (especially the hot showers).

5 comments:

Lin said...

Congratulations Lesley on another excellent run and trophy. I will always remember doing a long training run with Richard and Martin not long after M & I first got together, whilst Lesley went for a walk. Near the end we caught up with Lesley returning from her walk and Richard tried to persuade her to jog back to the car with us - to which she indignantly replied "I DON'T do running!" As you say Richard, how times have changed.
I'm really sorry that your stomach problem caused you so much trouble, wish I could think of some clever solution which would help you. The first time I saw you after a marathon was Taunton, way back, and I thought you were dying, couldn't understand why Lesley was so unsympathetic - but of course she had seen it all before, as have we after countless long races since. I can well understand the frustration of wanting to run but not being able to. I guess I can understand you finally deciding that it's not worth the suffering......perhaps when the memory recedes a bit?
Blimey, I can't believe I actually sound sympathetic after all the stick I've taken from RW over the years. First of all Lesley starts running, then she starts beating Richard, then I start being sympathetic. What is the world coming to?!!

Phil said...

well done Lesley, you are doing more for the name of MNR they we have all managed in 20 plus years.
Richard as lin has already said with time the mind blanks out the bad bits. Anyway no more sympathy Lesley beat you get over it!!! at least it will help pad out the next MNR meeting

Lesley said...

Thanks Lin and Phil for those kind comments. Had a job getting my head through the door in the last few days, but Richard has put me back in my place. Another thought is, a close inspection of the results will show that if I'd been a year or two older I would have been fourth in my age group.

Lesley said...

Richard said...

How the order of things has changed at the Westgates. Depending on what time I get home from work I notice the CORNISH TROPHY is in a different position. The explanation apparently is simple; as the sun moves round so does the TROPHY to catch the maximum light!

Lin said...

Never mind, there will soon be enough trophies to catch the sun without the need to move them around.....................