Monday, January 14, 2008

Oh My Obelisk!

Sunday 13th saw the third running of the “Oh my Obelisk” multi-terrain 10.8 mile race at Dawlish. This event has good parking and great facilities at the leisure centre and is well marshalled. The race suddenly kicked off with no safety talk (great) or count down, taking many by surprise. The first bit goes over rolling grassland at the back of the leisure centre. It became a little congested and to avoid clipping someone’s heels I thought it a good idea to speed up and over a small grassy knoll on the left. Unfortunately I caught my foot in the grass, flew forward and rolled down the other side. What a boring bunch of runners – no laughing, clapping, cheering or jeering! Still, at least I had rolled past the person in front.

We were soon on a narrow track through woods, then bits of road, then a long muddy standing water track, a field or two with gates and stiles, more bits of road, then up through woods to the obelisk. However due to building work we had to divert round and use a different track down. I seem to remember last year’s track down through the woods being much more fun – very steep and winding and slippery. We were soon into a steep downhill road section, probably the least enjoyable bit. Most of the last four miles or so retrace the outward route. With about three miles to go I was thinking of anything apart from the fact there were still about three miles to go! I think that the gale force gusts and wet mud had taken their toll – but it was the same for everyone. It’s a bad feeling when 6 or 7 people go past on the last two miles and here’s nothing you can do to increase the pace.

I was very pleased to see the finish line and my time of about 87:24 shouldn’t really have disappointed me. Last year I did 80:34 but in retrospect that was proportionally the best position I probably ever have done in any race. So, especially with today’s adverse weather, I shouldn’t be disappointed but there were people I beat last year who beat me easily this time, maybe I get too bogged down on results and positions, perhaps I should run a few races without a watch and not look up the finish positions.

On the same subject I spoke to one of the organisers as the prize list for a race of this size is paltry – 350 finishers last year. For the male 40 and female 35 there is just ONE prize each, and no other veteran categories. I was told that the popularity of the race had taken Dawlish Coasters by surprise and in the first year it took time to work out the prizes and people just went home, before they were ready. However they have a different race results computer system now and next year they could well extend the prize categories etc.
Richard's consolation prize - a half eaten banana..................
Lesley sensibly boycotted the race and kept an eye on the sea defences instead.

1 comment:

Lesley said...

I didn’t do this one. Maybe I had a premonition about the weather, however I just decided I didn’t want “yet another” T-shirt. Although in fairness in was quite a nice T-shirt in a fetching shade of black. I went for a walk along the seafront instead – the bit where the trains run right next to the sea, and was treated to the sight of the waves crashing right over the track and even the trains at times. I beat a hasty retreat when a wave crashed over me as well, and made my way back to the finish line, where not only the winner (and Richard) but most of the field finished in a time slower than last year.

Richard also achieved another first for fastest getaway from a race: pausing only briefly to chat to a fellow road-runner, he crossed the field, was in the car and on the road home before even half the field had finished. Completely forgetting there were showers at the venue and the mud he brought home could be blocking their drains instead of ours......