Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Dope test called for after Lesley gets another first

Sunday 25th November saw the Westgates having fun at the Brent Knoll race. This was the final race in this years Somerset Series, where your best eight from sixteen count towards a prize table. I say having fun because her good results during the year meant Lesley was guaranteed a place in the ladies table and there was no pressure on me because my poor results meant I was outside the men’s prizes. Yet again the weather was perfect, and I’ve never seen the conditions so good at Brent Knoll. Honestly there was no mud to speak of on the hill, certainly nothing to slide on. I set off with the intention of staying with Paul Chadwick, a fairly close rival from other Somerset Series races. This was in vain and he easily stayed ahead finishing 51 seconds in front. My time was my second best for Brent Knoll but then the conditions were good. As usual the leading men came charging down the hill having completed their circuit of the top while the rest of us struggled upward. I had a few great moments on the steep downhills; I just knew I wouldn’t fall over, didn’t really care if I did, and then flew down as fast as I could.

Back in the clubhouse bar the Somerset Series ladies prizes were awarded first. Lesley picked up 1st LV45 in preference to 4th in the series. Yours truly had a pleasant surprise as I picked up 2nd MV50 but would love to have been good enough for a table position. Once again Lesley did me on the ‘better result’ although we both got good chunky engraved glasses and a bottle of 18% Kingston Black apple aperitif. Plus everyone who did eight races received running bear socks!

1 comment:

Lin said...

Congratulations Richard and Lesley on more trophies and prizes. Still finding it hard to imagine Brent Knoll without the mud. Don't drink all that lethal Kingston Black too quickly!