Sunday, October 14, 2007

Parrett Trail Relay 13/10/07


Saturday saw the fifth running of the Crewkerne runners Parrett Relay. 53 miles 6 legs & 2 Counties (that's what is says on the Tee shirt). this is a great day out starting at Steart where the river Parrett meets the sea on the west coast of somerset and finishing at Cheddington (right out side the wynyards gap pub) now you see why its a good day out. This was the third year MNR had entered the event, this year saw a male only team of all first name club members how did we manage that.
Oh well I can't put this off any longer, I did the first leg mainly because no one else would get up at a silly time on a Saturday morning to get to the start for 8.30 at Steart. Having done this leg last year you would have thought it would be easy, I started well managing to keep up with Fred from Yeovil RC in fourth place but after about four miles he started to leave me behind. This was OK while we were running a long side the river, but when the trial started heading across fields I soon fond my memory of the route was not as good as I thought. not wanting to get lost I slowed to let a Crewkerne runner catch up, we ran together for some time but feeling confident I had remembered the route I set off on my own again(big mistake). I soon found my self coming out in the middle of a housing estate with no idea where I was let alone which way the finish was. more by luck than judgment I found my way back to the finish at the docks in Bridgewater, unfortunately I was approaching the finish line from completely the wrong direction. so not only having to join the hall of shame for getting lost the team could be looking at a time penalty for me crossing the line in the wrong direction. fortunately as I had lost 3 places and about 5 minutes we did not get a time penalty. But I did spend the rest of the day paying for my mistake, the only saying was even tho I got lost I still came in a head of Martin Chaffy (that I would never of lived down) Ironman to lost man in a few short weeks

Leg 2 saw Eric take over, traveling to the start with Dan had its own entertainment value. having spent some valuable time driving around and around Bridgewater they finial found the start with about 10 mins spare and Dan having to deal with a bit of road rage(whats wrong with stopping in the middle of the road to let a runner get out). Eric had a great run finishing at the Bottom of Burrow Mump, having climbed up it first looking like he could carry on to leg 3









Leg 3 was Ian's turn, he had run this 2 years ago but unlike me had not forgotten the route. he seemed to have escaped most of the mud on this section and finished in a very good time









Leg 4 and it was over to Dave C to do his best, Having spent the day before on some sort of pub craw around Exeter I was pleased he had even turned up, but again it was another quick finish.
the confusion only came trying to find where he had parked is car!!









Leg 5 over to you Dan, again there was little time to spare at the start with there combine navigating skills not quite up to the challenge (I know I am not in any position to make that sort comment) Dan not only manged to navigate the hole route, he managed to keep talking all the way as well (good job Martin was not with him)









Leg 6 What can I say Dave W took over what is probably the toughest leg of the route, but it does finish at the pub. He ran this last year and again had no problems finding his way to the finish to complete the route for MNR
The overall finish time has still to be confirmed (come on Crewkerne get the results up) By my time keeping we have an overall time of about 7hrs 30mins putting us in about 8th or 9 place out of the 21 teams.
the overall winners were Yeovil A in 6hrs 44mins first mixed team Chard RC in 6hrs 49mins and first ladies team Exmouth in 7hrs 39mins. all the above times may very to the official results, as there did seem to be some confusion prior to the winners being announced.
For the more observant of you you will have noticed there is no photo of me finishing, it wasn't only the time keeper that did not see me coming (the wrong way)
A great team effort.
Thanks Phil

2 comments:

martin said...

Great report & pictures, Phil, and well done, everyone.
Brought back good memories of doing it the past 2 years. The weather was a lot better then though.
Lin says I'm too nice to make any cracks about the navigational skill of certain team members, and I'm not going to. But the real reason is that I know how easy it is to do in the heat of the moment, and how likely it is that next time it will again be me that goes wrong.

Lin said...

I wouldn't dream of making sarcastic remarks about people who can't follow the same route twice........
Check out the Wells City Harriers website - they have a video of the Trail with fleeting glimpses of familiar faces shown - mainly Dave W. (Phil must have missed the camera!)