Monday, May 14, 2007

The Annual Johnny Kipps Race

Only the brave and the foolish gathered at Wynford Eagle for the annual Johnny Kipps race on Sunday 13th May. The weather was a little wet to say the least - real Wessex Ridgeway Relay weather. The threatened influx of Yeovil runners didn't materialise so Phil's concern that the coveted biscuit tin might be lost to Maiden Newton for ever was unfounded.

Lord Wynford also braved the weather to start the race - a slightly unconventional start this year as people rotated on the start line unwilling to divulge which direction they were intending to run. A prompt start and Dave Webb, Phil, Martin, Richard, Lesley, Andy Staples and myself headed off on the boringly conventional clockwise circuit. Dave Carnell, Daniel and Ian set off anti clockwise.

Dave, Phil, Martin and I formed the leading group, but after the first half mile or so my marathon legs couldn't hold the pace. First Dave opened a small lead, Martin then took up the challenge and closed on Dave ,dropping Phil and myself and it wasn't long before Phil started pulling away from me too.

The rest of the race was fairly lonely for me - apart from meeting the people coming the opposite way. Firstly Di, Keith and Pauline who had set off at a sensible walking pace earlier that morning. At the top of the hill Jackie and little helpers were bravely dispensing water (well the little helpers were being very brave, Jackie, sensibly I thought, was nice and cosy in the car). Having only run 2 miles in cold, wet weather I wasn't exactly gasping for a drink, but being a polite soul I took one and discarded it once safely round the corner - well it seemed ungrateful not to!

At 2.8 miles I met Dave Carnell coming in the opposite direction and not knowing the distance assumed that we had met at about the half way point, only to discover at the end that he was already ahead of me. Ian was the next person to loom out of the rain, closely followed by Dan and then, apart from the occasional glimpse of Phil up ahead, it was a lone run for me. The loud clap of thunder in the last mile or so hastened me on my way and soon I was sprinting for the line, via the huge puddle at the bridge. I was none too pleased to see that Dave Carnell had got there before me, but my time was a few minutes up on last year so all in all a fair effort.

My first thought was to see if the biscuit tin would be returning with us for another year, but Phil immediately said that the finish had caused controversy and the winner had not yet been declared! Martin having opened a small lead with his fell running tactics down the final hill had reached the bridge and stopped, Dave already closing the gap on Martin then sprinted easily past him to the actual finishing line, leaving Martin wondering why he hadn't stopped! They were both being frightfully polite and decent, and declaring the other the winner, but the final decision rested with Phil, who had some time to think about it whilst we cheered home the other runners - first Richard, taking it easy after doing Ivybridge 10k the previous evening, then Ian, Dan and finally Lesley and Andy splashing through the flooded finish together.

We then all repaired to the convenience of the roadside barn to dry off as best we could and await Phil's decision. In the end he took the easy option and declared a draw. Martin insisted that Dave take the biscuit tin - he was really only concerned with the contents - which we all partook of before sqelching off home. Despite the awful weather it was a great turn out and thanks to everyone who came, especially the non runners who were particularly brave turning out on such an awful morning to support us.

I've just made up a new rule for next year - the winner has to do the race report for the blog - so that lets me off!

No comments: